For Monday the 17th read from part 6 to part 8 (page 373).
Next Reading for Tuesday the 11th. Read from part Four (200) to part Six (303)
Please add any agenda items for Communitas 5 in the comments to this post.
- We will go over the external anatomy of insects as we take a close-up look at our Lubber grasshoppers.
- Review the internal anatomy of insects with this tutorial. Answer the following questions as you look at insect internal anatomy. Be prepared to discuss.
- How are molting and metamorphosis controlled?
- What are some similarities/differences between human and insect circulatory systems?
- What does the insect circulatory system transport?
- Describe the role of spiracles in delivering oxygen to the insect’s body.
- List the three sections of the insect digestive system and tell their main functions.
- What are insects’ major excretory organs instead of kidneys? How do they work?
- What is one major difference between insect and human reproductive systems?
NaHCO3 + H+ → Na+ + H2O + CO2
Please work on your anatomy research. Read through your section of the information and make note of the most important aspects of the body system you’re working on such as major structures and what those structures do. With your partner(s), make a list of the things you want to include when you present the information to the rest of the class. If I remember correctly, sections are…
- Senses – Hailey, Anna, Cozette
- Muscles and Skeleton – Lola, Kyla
- Respiratory and Circulation – Aydan, Hogan, Solo
- Digestive and Urinary – Finn, Liam
For Wednesday, read through chapter 15.
During the second half of tomorrow’s first hour of English we will discuss to part Four, page 200.
We are going to discuss the Mysterious in Philosophy on Tuesday. Why are we drawn to the mysterious and the unknowable? Can science solve all the mysteries? Should we try and solve all the mysteries?
In preparation for this discussion, please listen to (at least) part 2: The Unknowable Universe from the Our Mysterious Universe episode of the radio show To The Best of Our Knowledge. The rest of the episode is pretty good too, if you are up for it (quantum entanglement, Terry Gilliam, and a possible Dyson sphere.)