Read to chapter 2 for Thursday’s discussion.
Check out the site from Iowa Big Schools. Many of these projects could be modified to your community: http://projectbbq.com/BBQ/public.php
- We will go over the external anatomy of insects as we take a close-up look at our Lubber grasshoppers.
- Review the internal anatomy of insects with this tutorial. Answer the following questions as you look at insect internal anatomy. Be prepared to discuss.
- How are molting and metamorphosis controlled?
- What are some similarities/differences between human and insect circulatory systems?
- What does the insect circulatory system transport?
- Describe the role of spiracles in delivering oxygen to the insect’s body.
- List the three sections of the insect digestive system and tell their main functions.
- What are insects’ major excretory organs instead of kidneys? How do they work?
- What is one major difference between insect and human reproductive systems?
Please work on your anatomy research. Read through your section of the information and make note of the most important aspects of the body system you’re working on such as major structures and what those structures do. With your partner(s), make a list of the things you want to include when you present the information to the rest of the class. If I remember correctly, sections are…
- Senses – Hailey, Anna, Cozette
- Muscles and Skeleton – Lola, Kyla
- Respiratory and Circulation – Aydan, Hogan, Solo
- Digestive and Urinary – Finn, Liam
INSECT ANATOMY – review the basic external anatomy of an insect