1. How is cocoa made?
2. What is the purpose of the vinegar?
3. Why do you have to add both baking soda and baking powder?
4. Why add melted butter?
5. Why do you need to add lukewarm water? Why not cold water?
6. What does the salt do?
7. How is powdered sugar made?
8. What could you have added to this recipe to make it more interesting?
Wacky Cake From Patti’s 7th grade Home Economics teacher in Thunder Bay, Canada
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 3 tbsp. cocoa
• 1 tsp. Baking soda
• 1 tsp. Baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. Salt
• 1 tsp. Vanilla
• 1 tsp. Vinegar
• 5 tbsp. Melted butter
• 1 cup warm water
• 2 cup powdered sugar
• 1/4 cup butter
• enough milk to moisten
1. Preheat oven to 350 oF
2. Do not grease 8 inch X 8 inch pan. Mix everything in the pan
3. Sift together all of the dry ingredients (sugar through salt)
4. Make three holes in the dry ingredients
5. Add the vanilla, vinegar and melted butter into each of the three holes
6. Pour the water overtop of the ingredients in the pan and stir well
7. Bake 30 – 35 minutes at 350 0F oven with the pan on top of the cookie sheet.
1. Mix together the powdered sugar and butter into a fine mixture
2. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time to make a smooth icing
3. Put on the cake once it has cooled