We will be working with chocolate this week!!!
Read the following from the textbook: pp. 694-712, 430-433, 647-52, 674-675, and 533-34.
Answer the following questions
Kitchen Chemistry Homework #2
1. Do you enjoy chocolate? Is there a biochemical reason for it?
2. What are some of the chemicals that contribute to the chocolate taste?
3. Can we become addicted to chocolate?
4. What is common to both marijuana and chocolate?
5. Even though it is unhealthy, can we justify from a health perspective eating chocolate in moderation?
6. What is the ingredient in chocolate that makes our hearts pound?
7. Should you feed your cat or dog chocolate? Why or why not?
Ingredient specific questions:
1. What is the chemistry behind baking powder? At what temperature does this process become spontaneous (remember Gibb’s free energy equations from thermodynamics?)
2. What does double acting baking powder really mean?
3. Why add eggs to the recipe?
4. What is the difference between brown sugar and white sugar?
5. Where does vanilla come from and how is the extract made?
6. What modifications did you make to the recipe?