Here are some options for cave-related projects you might find interesting after our visit to Smallin Cave on Monday. You may choose to do any number of these projects (including zero) or design a project of your own.
- Cave model – using clay or other materials, design a model of a cave that includes labeled cave features such as stalactites, stalagmites, soda straws, flowstone, popcorn, etc.
- Mapping caves – create a map of the state of Missouri that shows the location and number of caves around the state.
- Cave current event – choose a news article such as this one that features new cave discoveries. Read it, and write a response. Or read it with a partner or small group and discuss the article.
- Field trip – visit another cave in the area, and create a photo essay about the cave. Display at art walk.
- Lab – Go to this website to learn about cave formations and complete the lab that is outlined on the website. Share the process and results via a presentation or report.
- Around the world – choose a cave from anywhere around the world that you would like to visit, and research the location and unique features of the cave.
- Wildlife – choose one or more cave animals to research, and share your findings. You could focus on species in Missouri, endangered species, adaptations for cave life, etc.